What are some colorful freshwater fish? Since this is a question about the outdoors it is assumed for the purpose of this article that one is concerned with colorful game fish, not colorful aquarium type fish. Many people think that salt water fish are the colorful fish and fresh water fish are drab. In some cases this is very true, some salt water fish are blessed with vivid coloration. However, there are some beautifully colored fresh water fish also.
- Peacock Bass. The Peacock Bass is one of the most spectacularly colored fresh water fish. It is found in South America and is normally found in brilliant shades of green, gold, orange, and blue. It is also a very active and fun fish to catch. There are many charter companies which do nothing but charter fishing trips for Peacock Bass.
- Pumpkinseed Sunfish. Found in the Northeastern United States. They are often beautifully colored with shades of greens, golds, oranges, and blues. They are a smallish game fish which normally weigh less than a pound and run in the six to eight inch range. They prefer shallow waters. They bite on almost any bait and are active during the daytime.
- Rainbow Trout. Found in rivers and streams west of the Rocky Mountains in the continental United States this is one of the most beautiful game fish found in the United States. They are often shades of blue or green, or yellow to green. They have stripes of pink along their sides with a white black spotted belly. They are one of the most popular and colorful game fish found in the western U.S.
- Bluegill. Bluegill are a colorful freshwater fish which normally shows olive back with a blue or purple sheen on the sides. They can have shades of blue and orange to gold along their flanks. They are widely distributed throughout the continental United States and are a very popular, and tasty, game fish.
- Brook Trout. One of the most beautifully colored fresh water game fish found in the United States. Widely distributed in the North Eastern states. They are beautifully colored with a graduated blue-black back to silver sides. Coloration highlights include shades of red, blue, orange, and yellow gold. This is considered by many to be the most colorful American species of game fish.
Those are some of the very colorful species of freshwater game fish. A simple look at any one of them will dispel any ideas that fresh water fish are dull and drab compared to salt water species. Each and every one of these fish is colorful, beautiful, and will provide a good fishing and eating experience. Enjoy your fishing…
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!