Comedy Clubs In Chicago
Comedy clubs in Chicago are outstanding and give a wonderful experience. Belly laughs make a person feel good! Stand-up and improv comedians need to have a special talent in order to display the necessary quick wit that creates laughs in the audiences. Enjoyment is enhanced by the various unusual characteristics of the comedy clubs themselves.
- Comedians You Should Know is the backroom of Timothy O'Toole's in downtown and is one of Chicago's funniest live comedy club shows. These shows are held on Wednesday nights at only $5.00 per ticket. One of the cast of seven men is the host for a stand-up showcase which features a visiting national guest and five local comedians. A lounge with a stage enables the customers to easily see the show. There are half-price appetizers in the hour before the show as well as drink specials, and the wings are awesome. Timothy O'Toole's, 622 N. Fairbanks Ct., Chicago, IL 60611.
- The Second City is not a large venue with approximately 200 seats, but that makes it more personal as you can get closer to the excellent comedians. A varied improv/sketch comedy segment follows a scripted show, and often an audience member gets involved. Comedians that performed here and went on to become famous include Tina Fey, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Steve Carell, Mike Myers, and many others. The Second City also offers an improv training class that can be finished in about a year and offers students many free jams and shows as they are kept together to perform and build up a rapport. The Second City, 1616 N. Wells St., Chicago, IL 60614.
- Chicago Underground Comedy is the backroom of The Beat Kitchen in Roscoe Village on Tuesday nights. For only $5.00 you get to see five stand-up quality comedians perform on a rock band stage, and the acts change from week to week. There are also $3.00 drink specials. The Beat Kitchen, 2100 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago, IL 60618.
- Cigars and Stripes is not only a cigar shop run by an old Eastern European man but is also an old haunted house made into a bar with a great beer selection and terrific food! You are greeted by a large monster sculpture outside that has a smoke machine. There are photos of the owner Ronnie's wrestling days, and you will also find a uniquely decorated bar and weird decorations including many from Halloween. Stand- up open-mic comedy is featured on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights on a mini-stage that often combines with a band. There are no domestic beers here, and many craft beers are on tap. The pizza is delicious, the pulled pork sandwiches are yummy, and the Bloody Marys are outstanding. Chicken wings and hot links are specialties made in a custom-made smoker in a biergarten in the back, and there are a large number of sauces to choose from. Cigars and Stripes, 6715 Ogden Ave., Berwyn, IL 60402.
- The Red Bar Comedy Club is in the downtown Ontourage Nightclub and thus is more dressy than most comedy clubs. However, there is no drink minimum and the price is only $10.00 per ticket. In fact, if you subscribe to their e-mails, they often offer 50% discounts. Bring cash as there is a $25.00 credit card minimum. Founded by comedians and run by them, the choice of comedians guarantees smart and funny acts. There is also a Red Bar Comedy Radio Show. The inside decor is very red, and you should get there early to get a good seat. The Red Bar Comedy Club, 157 W. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60654.