Look no further for some of the healthiest complex carbohydrate examples. Balancing your diet with plenty of carbohydrates is important for energy production and digestive health. Choosing the best complex carbohydrate sources in terms of nutrition and fiber content is even more important. Consider these examples for part of your healthy, well-balanced diet.
- Make the brown rice transformation. Switch to brown rice and you get all the inherent nutritional benefits of this natural grain. In addition to about forty grams of complex carbohydrates for each one cup cooked, brown rice is rich in magnesium, manganese, tryptophan and B vitamins. As with most of the healthiest carb examples, brown rice is high in dietary fiber.
- Eat oatmeal for breakfast. Another of the optimal complex carbohydrate examples is good old oatmeal. Choose slow-cooking, natural grains over pre-packaged and quick-cooking oats for optimal nutrition without all the additives. Oatmeal is a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber; eating a daily serving is a powerful, natural way to lower cholesterol levels.
- Quinoa is dynamic and delicious. Not your typical grain, quinoa is technically a seed. It is high in complex carbohydrates as well as fiber, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. With a slightly nutty taste, quinoa makes a great substitute for rice and pasta.
- Choose whole wheat bread. Put that turkey sandwich on two pieces of brown bread and you've got an energy-sustaining, nutrient-rich and high-fiber lunch. Whole wheat bread, but also other wheat flour products, are a better option for complex carbohydrates than white flour products.
- Sweet potatoes as carbs. Grains are not the only examples of complex carbohydrates; many root vegetables are great sources as well. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips and rutabagas are all healthy selections.
- Eat red beans and all legumes. Red beans, black beans, white beans and even peas contain complex carbohydrates. These are not only healthy, mineral-rich carb examples but they are also sources of protein and essential fatty acids. For a high complex carb meal, you can't go wrong with beans and brown rice!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.