Core strengthening exercises typically work the abdominal muscles (abs) and lower back muscles. These muscles work together to stabilize and support a man’s spine. Building a strong core is the key to strength, power, and performance in any athletic activity. A weak core compromises the strength and muscle you build through exercise.
Sit-ups are a great standby, but these five core strengthening exercises should be a part of every man’s workout program. For the best results, commit yourself to performing them with precision and perfect posture.
- Weight Plate Raises. Stand on the floor with knees bent slightly. Hold a weight plate in front of your hips. With arms straight, raise the plate until it is shoulder-level in front of you. Lower it back down. Do two or three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, resting a minute between sets.
- One-legged Dumbbell Rows. Hold a dumbbell in one hand. Stand on the opposite leg. Bend your torso forward at the hips, at a 45-degree angle to the floor. Row the weight to your outside chest and back down. Do two to three sets of 8 to 12 reps on each side, resting a minute between sets.
- One-legged Squats. Raise one leg in front of you and squat as low as you can. Stand up again. Do two to three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions on each leg. Rest for a minute between sets.
- Suitcase Squats. Hold a dumbbell in one hand. Squat as low as you can, like you are setting down a suitcase. Stand up again. Do two to three sets of 8 to 12 reps on each side, resting a minute between sets.
- Overhead Squats or Lunges. Hold a barbell or dumbbell at arm’s length above your head. Squat as low as you can. Stand up again. Do two to three sets of 8 to 12 reps, resting a minute between sets. Alternatively, do lunges instead of squats. Again, perform two to three sets of 8 to 12 reps, and rest for a minute between sets.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...