Need a corn syrup substitute? Many recipes have corn syrup as an ingredient. Sometimes you run out of the product or want to try something new. Due to some heath concerns with corn syrup some consumers want to avoid using it. There are many ways to bake or make a recipe substituting some other ingredients for the corn syrup. Corn syrup comes in light and dark brown syrup so you have choices when substituting other ingredients. Keep in mind that the substitutes are sweet and will give the recipes a different flavor. Corn syrup is a liquid sweetener or syrup and there are many sweeteners that can be substituted in recipes for it. Find out about some of these corn syrup substitutes you can use to make recipes or bake.
- Substitute light corn syrup with equal parts of honey or golden syrup. Golden syrup is a gourmet item so it is only found in certain supermarkets. Honey is usually found in most small and large supermarkets. Honey is produced by bees and their are many varieties. The lighter the color the milder the flavor. Lighter honey is better for baking. Golden syrup is popular with British and Creole cooks. It is sugar cane juice that has been boiled down. It has a golden color and different taste from corn syrup.
- Dark corn syrup. You can substitute molasses or maple syrup for dark corn syrup in recipes. They are found in commercial supermarkets and are sweeter so the taste of the recipes will be different. The measurement would be the same. Light molasses syrup is often used as it is less strong that dark molasses. It is used in gingerbread, baked beans or rye bread. Maple syrup is used on pancakes and waffles. It is also used in making baked goods and candy.
- Brown rice syrup. This is a healthy alternative that is used in recipes but is hard to find. It is often sold in health food stores as a substitute for corn syrup in recipes. It is only half as sweet as regulars sugar. It is not absorbed as fast into the blood.
- Making simple syrup. You can make simple syrup to replace corn syrup in recipes. You will need 2 cups of granulated white sugar. 3/4 cup of water, 1/4 teaspoon of cream of Tartar and pinch of salt. Combine in a pan on stove bring to boil stirring constantly. Lower heat stir and let simmer 15 to 20 minutes until it thickens. Store in container with cover. This simple sugar syrup last two months.
- Another recipes for sugar syrup. Combine 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water in pan. Heat on stove over low flame. Melt and remove sugar crystals add dash of lemon juice. Use in recipe immediately to replace the corn syrup.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…