In spite of the reputation that country music is all about broken hearts, pickup trucks, and drinking, country songs about love are some of the most popular of all country music. Unrequited love, first loves, remembered love, love of family, these are all common themes for country ballads. The same is true for most music genres. Only the expression of these themes is different. Interested in a few examples of great country songs about love? Check these out.
- Willie Nelson, “You Were Always on My Mind” is a classic in terms of country songs about love. In short, not everyone is perfect in how they show their love for a partner or other loved one, but that doesn’t mean you don’t love them dearly. Willie sings about everything he might not have done right for his sweetheart, but she was always on his mind.
- Kenny Chesney’s “Anything But Mine” is a beautiful story nearly everyone can relate to. Summer loves, high school sweethearts, first loves and those affairs we remember for a lifetime don’t always last forever, but their memories hold a special place in our hearts and minds. “Anything But Mine” calls up those lost loves, helping listeners cherish those memories, just like good country songs about love should.
- Faith Hill, “Breathe” illustrate everything good in country songs about love. When you fall in love with that special person, that other half of you, sometimes all you have to do is just be and breathe together. “Isn’t that the way that love’s supposed to be?”
- Kenny Rogers, “She Believes in Me” says it all. When it comes to country songs about love, this is one of the most tender, relationship-affirming songs around. There’s a reason this one’s a classic that’s stood the test of time all these years.
- Garth Brooks, “Unanswered Prayers” pairs beautifully with Kenny Chesney’s “Anything But Mine.” When you remember that old summer love and the heartbreak of losing that first love, look over at the person you have today. The song tells the story of seeing an old first love, years later and seeing what a gift your current spouse is compared to the built-up memory of an old flame. “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.