Craft Instructions On How To Make A Bolo Tie
Craft instructions on how to make a Bolo tie are simple and easy to follow. A Bolo tie, an accepted popular accessory with Western wear and the official garb in several western states, can be made at home and customized to your personal style and taste. A typical Bolo tie is made with braided leather cord, silver tip, and a pendant that slides up and down the leather cord.
To craft a Bolo tie, you will need:
- Braided leather or cord
- Bolo slide
- Two Bolo tips
- Needle nose pliers
- Jewelry or Metal Glue
- Tape measure, for sewing
- Measure the length of the Bolo tie. While wearing a collared shirt, slide the cloth tape measure around the collar and place the end at the desired length that fits you. Bring the other length of the tape measure next to the first end to get the measurement. It should be between 36 and 48 inches depending on your height.
- Go shopping. Head to the nearest craft store to buy the braided leather or cord in the length you need for the Bolo tie. If you have a cherished pendant, coin, or piece of gemstone, it can be glued to the Bolo slide with the proper type of glue. The craft store will have a variety of pendants, stones, and even buttons that will make a great Bolo pendant. Choose Bolo tips that will accent your pendant.
- Attach the Pendant to the Bolo slide. Place a sheet of aluminum foil or waxed paper on the table surface to protect it. Follow the direction on the label for mixing, using, and drying the glue. Glue the pendant to the front (flat side) of the Bolo slide. Let it dry thoroughly.
- Cut the cord. Cut the braided leather or cord to the desired length. Feed the ends of the braided leather through the Bolo slide to create the tie and place it around your neck. Adjust the Bolo tie for fit. Use needle nose pliers to tighten the Bolo slide with a gentle crimp. Note: some Bolo slides have a locking device so adjustment isn’t necessary.
- Bolo tips. Bolo tips are attached to each end of the braided leather to give the tie a decorative finish. There are a few different types of Bolo tips. Some Bolo tips must be glued on and others are crimped into place using pliers. Attach the Bolo tips and your Bolo tie is ready to wear.
- The best place to shop for the things you will need to make a Bolo tie is your local craft supply store or online. You can get as creative as you like by adding silver, glass, or plastic beads to your Bolo tie.
- If you are using satin or nylon cord for your Bolo tie, place a drop of instant glue on the ends after cutting it to size to avoid unraveling threads.