Create Excel Drop Down List
If you need your spreadsheet to have a drop-down list, you should learn about how to create an Excel drop down list. A drop down list can be a useful way to save space when creating a list of options. An Excel drop-down list also looks professional and makes data easier to enter. Even if you are not proficient in Excel, you can learn how to create an Excel drop down list.
In order to create an Excel drop-down list, you will need:
- Microsoft Excel
- The data you want to enter in the drop down list
- Basic knowledge of how to navigate Excel
- Enter the data in Excel. Enter the data you want to appear in the drop down list in a single column. Make sure there are not any blank cells in between the entries. You should also make sure that you enter the data into the column in the same order that you want it to appear in the drop down menu.
- Insert drop down list. Click on the cell that you want to contain the drop down list. Now click on the data tab from the tool bar. Select Data Validation and data validation again. You will now see three tabs, make sure the settings tab is selected. From the Allow menu, select list.
- Enter the data in the drop down list. In order to put the data into the cell which contains the drop down box, you need to specify the range and location of data to include. For example, if you entered the data into the first ten rows of column A, your would enter A1:A10 into the cell which will be the drop down list.