Create Your Own Logo
Many people make the mistake of hiring expensive designers for creating logos when you can actually create your own logo. Logos are simple little images with company names slapped on them to help consumers identify with and recognize that brand. You could be quite wrong if you don’t think you can create your own logo using common tools and creativity.
To create your own logo, you will need:
- A computer
- Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Plan your logo. Some people have the gift of jumping right into their graphics programs and turning out beautiful logos without proper preparation, but for most people, this method is not efficient. You will need to come up with sketches and ideas for your logo. Get a scrap sheet of paper and try to draw out what you’re planning. Get opinions from friends and family and ask for suggestions.
- If you’ve got a good sketch or outline, scan it into your computer. If the logo you sketched is good enough, you can actually work straight from it in your graphics programs. This way you don’t have to start from scratch and you’ve got an image to work off of in the background.
- Create a new document in either Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Depending on your experience, you may be more partial to Illustrator or Photoshop. Whichever you one you feel more comfortable using, use it. For the dimensions of the document, you’ll want to go with somewhere around 1000x1000 so that it can be large, crisp and useful.
- Choose a typeface for your company name. There are many typefaces that come provided on computers, but there are also thousands on the internet that are free to use commercially (if you plan on using the image in your ventures to make money). You can use any typeface that you feel reflects the company, but there are also common ones that should be avoided. These include Comic Sans, Papyrus, Helvetica and Kristen ITC.
- Arrange the text in an attractive way. You won’t want the text to be the main focal point of the image file, but you will want it to be noticeable. Make sure that it is legible and of the right size.
- Begin designing the main graphic. The main graphic should be in proximity of the text. This is where you can really get creative, so make sure that you spend a lot of time fine-tuning this small graphic and making it as attractive as possible. Choose colors that coincide with your company, and try not to get too crazy with using several colors. Remember the rules of color harmony and balance, and make sure that they all work together nicely. To design this graphic, you may want to use different tools in the Adobe programs such as the Pen tool, Selection tool or Paintbrush tool. You can even download custom shapes that are free for commercial use to help design it.
- Keep it simple. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you don’t include too much detail. Logos are supposed to be simple, so remember this when designing.
- Save it as a PSD or AI file, and then a JPEG file. When you’re finished, save the file to the location of your choice. Afterwards, save a copy in the same location in the JPEG file format. This will make it easy to send via email, and it can be a quick image file that you can show to others.