There are several creme fraiche substitutes that can be used in desserts, soups, salads or French condiment recipes. Creme fraiche is expensive and is usually difficult to find. Creme fraiche substitute recipe blends that are similar in consistency and flavor are used quite often. Creme fraiche made in the United States uses fermented pasteurized cream mixed with buttermilk. In France they use a similar method with unpasteurized cream and sour cream, which produces a silky texture.
Heavy & Sour Cream
This is a favorite creme fraiche substitute because it is very similar in velvety smooth texture and rich, creamy taste.
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Whisk equal parts heavy cream and sour cream together until fully incorporated.
- Thicken the blend by covering it with plastic wrap and storing at room temperature for five to twelve hours.
Buttermilk & Whipping Cream
You will be amazed at how much money you will save by using this to replace creme fraiche.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- Blend thoroughly one cup of heavy cream to two tablespoons of buttermilk.
- Taste test before sealing the mixture tightly with plastic wrap.
- Store in a warm area for twelve to 24 hours. The mixture can be refrigerated for several days.
A delicious creme fraiche substitute that uses no animal products.
- Vegan cream cheese
- Soy, almond or rice milk
- Lemon juice
- Blend together one part vegan cream cheese to three parts soy milk and a small amount of lemon juice.
- Use your favorite sweetener in dessert recipes and substitute soy with almond or rice milk.
Cheese & Yogurt
This is a non-traditional but tasty creme fraiche substitute.
- Neufchatel cheese
- Low-fat yogurt
- Combine one cup Neufchatel cheese with four tablespoons low fat yogurt.
- Blend until smooth, spoon into a jar and tighten the lid.
- Store in a warm area for at least two hours.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …