While curling scoring is very easy to learn, it is quite a bit different from other sports as the scoreboard places markers next to the number of points per team rather than putting the number of points by each team. Regardless of how points are tallied, one thing is the same about curling scoring as other winter sports, the team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
- Points are awarded after each end. During each end, the term for a round in curling, the team with the stone closer to the button, the dot in the center of the concentric rings known as the house, wins the end. Each stone belonging to the winning team that sits within the house and is closer to the button than the stones of the opposing team is worth one point.
- Only one team can score per end. As each team throws eight stones per end, the total number of points that can be scored per end is eight. Scoring eight in a single end is extremely rare, but has been accomplished.
- Curling scoring is generally noted on a club-style scoreboard. Of the three columns on the scoreboard, the center column lists the number of points. The top and bottom columns are occupied by the two teams. When one team scores, the end number is hung in the column belonging to that team directly above or under the number of points scored. Should neither team score, the end number hanger is placed under a separate section to note a blank end.
- Each game consists of eight to ten ends. Casual games will use curling scoring methods that use eight ends. Competition games, such as international competitions, use curling scoring methods with ten ends. The team with more points after the specified number of ends wins the game.
- Competitions, such as the Winter Olympics, may contain a series of games, known as draws. At the 2010 Winter Olympics, each team participated in seven draws. The win-loss record was then used to determine the top teams that would compete for the gold, silver and bronze medals. Curling scoring for Olympic competitions are the same as casual games.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.