So you have secured yourself a date, but if you want to go on a second, third, or even more dates, you will need to learn the appropriate date etiquette. Read on to find out how you can prevent yourself from scaring away a potential girlfriend.
- Personal hygiene. Maintaining good personal hygiene is the most basic date etiquette. In fact, it is the most fundamental form of courtesy and consideration to other people. Make sure you shower, put on deodorant, and wear clean clothing before you meet your date.
- Appearance. It is undeniable that you will form a better first impression if you are dressed nicely. However, you do not need to be too concerned about your appearance, as long as you dress according to the occasion. For example, do not wear jeans if you two are going to dine at a high-end restaurant.
- Picking up. It may sound archaic, but it remains part of the date etiquette that the man should pick the woman up and go to the date venue together. Not only does that show your interest to her, it also gives you two more time to get to know each other.
- Paying for dinner. If you ask the woman out on a date, you should offer to pick up the check. However, date etiquette remains flexible: if the woman insists on paying for both or going Dutch, you should compromise.
- Dropping off. After the date, drop her off at her home and do not leave until she steps into her house or apartment. If the date has gone well, you may gauge her interest by lightly touching her forearm. You can lean in for a kiss if you are confident that the woman is also interested in you. However, remember to follow the date etiquette that you should never be too physical on your first date before the woman has explicitly expressed her interest in you.
- Arrangement for another date. This date etiquette may be rarely mentioned, but it is extremely effective in helping you develop a relationship. However, this is not to say that you should always try arranging for another date, despite the fact that you two do not enjoy each other's company.
Tips: Many see sex on a first date inappropriate, but if you and your date both share great chemistry, you do not have to care so much about rules set by other people.