The deepest lakes in the world can have depths up to 5,369 feet so if you find that fascinating, you may want to learn about the deepest lakes in the world. You may not have a chance to visit all of these but by knowing the locations, you can try to at least visit one of them or more. Here is a list of the deepest lakes in the world.
- Lake Baikal. This lake is the winner; the lake with the most depth in the world. Found on the Russian and Mongolian border in South Siberia, this lake has depths of approximately 5,369 feet. Not only is it one of the deepest lakes in the world, it is also one of the oldest with an age of about 25 to 30 million years. This lake is also fascinating due to the mysterious sea creature spotted there and the fact that a lot of the flora and fauna found there is exclusive to this lake and isn't found anywhere else in the world.
- Lake Tanganyika. This lake is the second deepest, coming in at 4,823 feet deep. It is found in an equal division of Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania and Zambia.
- The Caspian Basin. This is an area that lies in the middle of northern Iran and the Russian Federation. It is a landlocked body of water that has depths of 3,363 feet. It is rampant with oil resources and high-end fauna such as sturgeon.
- Vostok. Vostok is a sub-glacial lake with depths of 2,950 feet. It is quite fascinating to learn that this lake was only discovered in 1996, making it one of the purest lakes on earth. They discovered it just recently because it is buried 13,000 feet under an ice sheet at Russia's Vostok Station.
- O'Higgins/San Martin. This lake's name depends on which side you are on. Chile calls it O'Higgins while Argentina calls it San Martin; it lies between both areas. With depths of 2,742 feet, it is the fifth deepest lake in the world.
These five lakes are the deepest lakes in the world, but their history and facts make them equally fascinating as well. While you may not get to visit all of them, you can certainly learn all about them and what make them unique.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …