A depression medication list is very beneficial for assisting you with the choice of antidepressant medication to use. There are numerous depression medications available, which all have benefits and risks involved. One depression medication may work well for one person, but can have adverse reactions when used by another. There are many common antidepressants prescribed to individuals coping with depression.
- Abilify. Abilify is a depression medication that's used in combination with other antidepressants. Abilify is often prescribed to treat mental and mood disorders, but can be used in combination with other medications to treat depression. Possible severe side effects can occur, such as heart failure and stroke when used by elderly patients.
- Cymbalta. Cymbalta is prescribed to treat depression and anxiety that may be caused by underlying health conditions, such as arthritis and diabetes. This depression medication may improve mood, appetite and energy level. As with Celexa, this medication may not be beneficial for those under 25 years of age because it may worsen depression symptoms in some people.
- Paxil. Paxil is an SSRI depression treatment medication. It may also relieve obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic attacks, as well as a variety of other conditions. Paxil may not be appropriate for people under 25 years of age because it can worsen symptoms in select people.
- Prozac. Prozac can treat a number of conditions, including depression. Possible benefits achieved from Prozac can include improved sleep, appetite, mood and energy level. Prozac is another antidepressant medication that may not be suitable for people under 25 years of age.
- Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is a depression medication that works by correcting chemical imbalances within the brain. Those taking Wellbutrin must be monitored closely because it is known to cause an increase in suicidal thoughts in certain people.
- Zoloft. Zoloft is commonly prescribed to treat panic attacks, depression and other disorders. Zoloft can restore interest in every day living, mood, sleep and energy level. People under 25 years of age must be monitored closely when using Zoloft because it may worsen symptoms in some people.