Dirty Rice Recipe
Have something different and Cajun for dinner tonight by trying this dirty rice recipe. A dirty rice recipe transforms ordinary white rice into a main dish in less than 30 minutes. Dirty rice is made with chicken livers and pork sausage which gives the white rice its dirty look and adds incredible flavor to plain white rice. Now you can make something spectacular out of leftover plain white rice.
To make dirty rice, you will need:
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 pound chicken livers, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare the rice. Combine 1 1/3 cups white rice, 2 2/3 cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over a high heat with the pot covered. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice until all the water is absorbed, about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Prepare the ingredients for dirty rice. Chop the chicken into small pieces. Peel and coarsely chop the onion. Wash and coarsely chop the celery. Cut both ends off a washed bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise, core and seed, and then coarsely chop. Wash and coarsely chop the fresh parsley.
- Fry the sausage and chicken livers together in a large skillet over a medium high heat until browned. Add all the vegetables, except the parsley, and sauté until tender stirring frequently. Slowly fold in the cooked rice and parsley. Salt and pepper the dirty rice to taste. Serve hot.
When making dirty rice from leftover white rice, reheat the rice in the microwave before adding it to the skillet.
Do not use link sausage in dirty rice. Use loose sausage meat.