The drive in movie theaters in California include some of the most popular drive in theaters in the country. The citizens of California are lucky to have as many drive in movie theaters in California as they do. As of 2011, this is the list of some of the drive in movie theaters in California.
- Skyline Drive in – Barstow, CA. The Skyline drive in is the last of the drive in movie theaters in California to be considered one of the original "Route 66" drive ins. Back when route 66 was in use, it was littered with drive ins. This two-screen, 600 car drive in is the last of the legacy.
- Solano Drive in – Concord, CA. The Solano drive in advertises itself as a real family drive in with the full concession stand and playground experience. This two-screen, 800 car drive in has been in operation since 2007.
- Red's Crescent Drive in – Crescent City, CA. Red's drive in is one of the few drive in movie theaters in California to have the screen blow down, but be re-built for business. It is a small one-screen, 250 car drive in that was first opened in 1959.
- Santa Barbara Drive in – Goleta, CA. The Santa Barbara drive in is a two-screen drive in with a blacktop parking surface and modern playground. It is a year round theater than has been serving the Goleta community for years.
- Kings Drive in – Hanford, CA. The Kings drive in is one oldest drive in movie theaters in California. It is a single-screen, 300 car theater that was opened in 1948.
- Motor Vu Twin Drive in – Imperial, CA. The Motor Vue has been open since the mid-1940's, and was one of the first two-screen drive in movie theaters in California. It has the capacity for a total of 550 cars.
- South Bay Drive in – Imperial Beach, CA. The South Bay drive in was one of the first drive in movie theaters in California to go to three screens. The third screen was added in 1974, and that pushed the capacity of the South Bay to 845 cars.
- Vineland Drive in – City of Industry, CA. The Vineland is one of the most popular, drive in movie theaters in California. It has four screens and can hold a total of 1,700 cars.
- Lakeport Auto Movies – Lakeport, CA. The Lakeport is a single-screen, 396 car drive in theater. It has the distinction of being one of the few drive ins with AM and FM radio transmissions.
- Madera Drive in – Madera, CA. The Madera is a seasonal drive in that is open from May to September each year. It has two screens, and can hold a total of 400 cars.
- Mission Tiki Drive in – Montclair, CA. The Mission Tiki is another popular California drive in. It has four screens, and can hold up to 1,885 cars. It has operated continuously since 1956.
- Van Buren Cinema 3 Drive in – Riverside, CA. The Van Buren is a beautiful three-screen drive in very close to bustling Riverside, CA. It holds 1,500 cars and has been open since 1964.
- Rubidoux Drive in – Riverside, CA. The Rubidoux is a popular little three-screen drive in that holds about 576 cars in total. It has been operating since 1948.
- Sacramento 6 Drive in – Sacramento, CA. This is huge, six-screen drive in that has been operating since 1972. Owenrship changed hands in 2006, but the theater operation was not affected.
- Capitol Drive in – San Jose, CA. The Capitol is more of a movie campus than a drive in theater. It is a six-screen drive in that holds 601 cars, but it also has a 16-screen indoor theater on-site as well.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)