Droid Cell Phones
Droid cell phones are mobile phones powered by the Android operating system. The Android OS was first conceived in November 2007 during the Open Handset Alliance where 34 mobile technology leads advocated for a “truly open and complete mobile platform.” In less than a year, the T-Mobile G1 droid cell phone was released as the first Android-powered cell phone. Today, major cell phone manufacturers have been producing state of the art Droid cell phones to compete with other mobile operating systems.
- T Mobile G1 was released by HTC as the first “Google” phone; it was the first to use the Android OS. It was a relatively affordable cell phone at $199.00, having standard features of other smart phones such as a 3.2 megapixel camera, LCD display and wireless connectivity. Although not a truly ground-breaking cell phone, the G1 showed the potential for improvement of the Android OS.
- LG Optimus 2X is the latest in the Optimus family of Droid cell phones and is noteworthy as the world’s first to possess a 1GHz dual-core processor. It boasts an 8 megapixel autofocus camera, a large 4 inch TFT touch screen, and the ability to record videos at 1080p. It runs the Android 2.2 Froyo OS, which is upgradeable to 2.3 Gingerbread.
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc is the latest in the particularly stylish Xperia line of Droid cell phones. It is powered by a 1GHz processor and already comes installed with Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. It has a large 4.2 inch LED capacitative display and the whole gamut of wireless connectivity, but can only record videos at 720p.
- HTC Desire S is also one of the latest phones powered by the latest Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. It has a relatively smaller 3.7 inch capacitative Gorilla Glass display and a 5-megapixel camera. Similar to most smart phones, it also features a 1GHz processor and a wide range of connectivity options.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 is the worthy successor to the widely successful Galaxy S Droid cell phone. It is still considered as the benchmark for all other Droid cell phones because of its superior features such as a large 4.3 inch Super AMOLED+ display, an 8 megapixel camera, dual-core 1.2 GHz processor, 16-32 gigabyte internal memory, and the latest TouchWiz 4.0 user-interface. In spite of the large display, the Galaxy S2 is also one of the thinnest smart phones and only weighs at 116 grams.