Easter Egg Bread Recipe
Here is an Easter egg bread recipe. It is not that difficult and the bread looks fabulous once it comes out of the oven. You just need a little patience when kneading the dough and realize that when you bake bread for the first time, give yourself plenty of workspace and lots of positive energy.
Ingredients and items that you will need for this Holiday bread are:
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 raw eggs
- 5 hard cooked eggs - colored
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 large bowls
- Buttered baking sheet
- Small saucepan
- Damp cloth
- Preheat oven to 350F. Always preheat your oven. Once you’ve prepared all the ingredients to your Easter egg bread recipe you won’t need to wait until the oven gets hot.
- Combine dry ingredients. Mix only one cup of the flour called for along with sugar, salt and yeast and stir in a large bowl. It’s important to note you are not using all of the flour at this point.
- Heat wet ingredients. Place saucepan over medium heat and combine milk and butter. This Easter egg bread recipe calls for the butter to soften but not melt.
- Combine hot and dry ingredients. Gradually add the milk/butter mixture into the bowl of dry ingredient. Stir constantly, very important.
- Add rest of ingredients. Time to add two raw eggs and ½ cup of flour into the bowl. Beat the ingredients well. Continue to add ½ of flour at a time and stir well until you have a doughy substance.
- Knead the dough. This is where you put a little muscle into your Easter egg bread recipe. Flour a smooth surface and then place your dough on top. Knead the dough until the texture is smooth and elastic, takes about eight minutes.
- Let it rise. Place the dough now into the second large bowl, but first be sure to coat the bowl with oil as not to let the dough stick to it. Cover with damp cloth and let dough rise for one hour.
- Divide the dough. Now lightly flour your flat surface once again and cut dough into two round sections. Cover and let rest ten minutes.
- Roll the dough. This is the cool part of the Easter egg bread recipe. Take each round section and roll it out into a cylinder shape until it’s 1 ½ inches thick. Braid the dough and place the hard-cooked eggs in gaps between the dough. Seal everything together so there’s no gaps or air pockets.
- Place on baking sheet. Now place your dough on the buttered baking sheet and cover loosely with damp cloth. Let it rise for 45 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Bake the bread. Now it’s time to finish up your Easter egg bread recipe. Remove damp cloth from dough. Brush dough with a little butter and place baking sheet in your preheated oven. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve. Remove your bread from the oven. Let the bread cool before serving.