Easter Lamb Cake Recipe
This Easter lamb cake recipe can begin a new tradition that with your family. The lamb cake is meant to symbolize Jesus Christ, particularly in the Roman Catholic culture. This recipe requires a lamb cake mold which is often passed down as a family heirloom.
For your Easter lamb cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- Prepare your mold by coating it with vegetable oil. Let the mold sit for a few minutes then wipe clean with a paper towel. Afterwards, grease and flour the mold paying close attention to little areas.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sift the cake flour, and then sift again adding baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, take butter and sugar and create a cream until both are light and fluffy. Continue to add flour, milk and vanilla to the mixture. Make sure that the batter is smooth after each item is added to the mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- It is now time to fill the mold with batter. Using a wooden spoon, take the batter and gently remove any air pockets. Make sure to take keep the flour and grease intact as you place the batter into the mold. Put a lid on your mold and make sure that it is locked in place.
- Put the mold on a cookie sheet in the oven for approximately one hour. Use a skewer or toothpick to check if the cake is done. Put the cake on a rack and let it rest for about fifteen minutes. Carefully remove the top of the mold and let is cool again for about five minutes. Once you have removed the cake from the mold, let it cool completely.
- It is now time to ice the cake. Use a white icing for the look of the lamb with coconut shavings to accentuate the wool. You can use garnish to make the eyes and nose of the lamb.