Easter pasta recipes should celebrate spring, brightness, and freshness. Here is one that is light, with a focus on vegetables. This adaptation of traditional spring pasta focuses on carrots, yellow bell pepper, and asparagus, an excellent choice for those Lent vegetarians.
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large carrots, sliced thin or cut into matchsticks
- 12 thin asparagus spears, bottoms cut off
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh shelled green peas (or frozen)
- The juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 to 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta and vegetables simultaneously. Refer to the package directions for pasta cooking times.
- Blanch the carrots in boiling water for two minutes. Drain and set them in cold water afterwards.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and set them with the carrots.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillets. Add the drained carrots and asparagus and saute them for two minutes.
- Add the pepper and peas to the pan. Saute for another two minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, zest and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in basil and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Serve the vegetables immediately over the hot cooked fettuccine. Topped the plated pasta with the other half of the parmesan cheese.
- For a creamy sauce, add a half cup to a cup of heavy cream to the sauteed vegetables and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add cooked shrimp or chicken for a heartier meal.
- The blanching step gives the carrots and asparagus a jump-start before sauteing; it makes it easier to quick-cook harder vegetables. If you choose to skip this step, slice them very thin.
- Don't forget to check on the pasta while cooking the vegetables.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.