Easy And Simple Seafood Gumbo Recipe
Try this easy and simple seafood gumbo recipe the next time you want to treat yourself, your family and your guests to a heart warming comfort food. This easy and simple seafood gumbo recipe is sure to please everyone with its warmth and delicious flavors. Even those who are not crazy about fish will agree that this easy and simple seafood gumbo recipe makes the best fish dish they've ever had.
To make this easy and simple seafood gumbo recipe, you'll need:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large cans (28 oz. each) tomatoes, diced
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen okra, sliced
- 1 pound crab claws
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 pounds shrimp uncooked
- 1 lb. crab meat
- 1 ob. fish fillets, cut in 1 inch pieces
- Cooked rice
- To make any easy and simple seafood gumbo recipe you need to start with a roux. A roux is simply made with oil and flour. Place the oil and flour in a pot under medium high heat and stir constantly for about twenty minutes until roux darkens and is thicker. For a lighter roux you can use butter instead of oil.
- Put in celery, onion and garlic and cook an additional ten minutes, still stirring.
- Add the pepper, sage, oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab claws, okra, tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer for about two hours, stir it occasionally.
- Put in the shrimp, crab meat and fish and cook for another fifteen minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve over hot cooked rice.
You can add flour which thickens the gumbo if you add it to the individual servings and not the main pot as it will cause the whole pot to become too thick. You can vary this recipe for a whole new taste by changing a few of the ingredients. Here's how:
- Replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- Double the crab meat and omit the crab claws.
- Add the juice of one lime and one tablespoon of dill weed.
- Omit the bay leaves.
- Serve over wide egg noodles.