Easy Chicken Dumpling Recipe
With an easy chicken dumpling recipe, this traditional comfort food doesn't need to be hard to make. What most people assume to be difficult are the dumplings. In fact, making dumplings isn't quite as difficult as a lot of people think they would be. This recipe simply requires dropping spoonfuls of dough into the cooking pot. No need to fuss with rolling dough and trying to cut it into exact pieces!
Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
To make easy chicken and dumplings, you will need:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium is preferred)
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. shortening
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic for about five minutes, then saute the chicken for about seven to ten minutes.
- Stir in broth, vegetables, sage and thyme. Mix together and simmer over medium heat.
- Prepare dough. In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour and parsley. Add shortening (should look mealy). Stir in the buttermilk (a little at a time), until the dough is soft, but firm.
- Bring chicken mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Drop dough into chicken mixture by spoonfuls without letting any of the dough balls tough each other.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about ten to twelve minutes.