Easy Christmas Cake Recipes
So much time and effort goes in to creating the perfect Christmas meal, leaving little time for making cake, unless you follow an easy Christmas cake recipe. This recipe is so easy and versatile that it can be adapted for any holiday or occasion.
To make an easy Christmas cake, you will need:
- 1 ready made pound cake
- 2 cans frosting, cream cheese and chocolate
- 1 ounce brandy
- 2 cups almonds, chopped
- Food coloring
- Prepare the pound cake. Remove the pound cake from the package and place on the counter on a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil. Cut the pound cake into three layers with a large sharp knife.
- Place the bottom layer on a cake or serving dish. The bottom layer is the bottom of the pound cake. Lightly sprinkle the layer with brandy just enough to add flavor. Do not saturate the cake. Spread cream cheese frosting over the top of the layer, avoiding the sides of the cake.
- Place the second layer on top of the first frosted layer. Lightly sprinkle the top of the second layer with brandy. Spread cream cheese frosting over the top of the second layer. Cover the second layer with the top layer of the cake.
- Frost the easy Christmas cake. Frost the sides of the cake with chocolate frosting. To avoid tearing the cake, use a light touch while spreading the frosting. If you get crumbs in the frosting, gently remove them with the tip of a butter knife. Once the sides are frosted, cover the top of the cake with chocolate frosting.
- Press chopped almonds into the sides of the easy Christmas cake. Take a small handful of chopped almonds and spread them on your fingertips; then, carefully press the chopped almonds into the frosting on each side of the easy Christmas cake.
- Decorate the easy Christmas cake. In a small bowl, place a few spoonfuls of cream cheese frosting and mix in a few drops of green food coloring. Snip a small corner off a small zip lock or sandwich bag using scissors. Place the baggie in a coffee cup with the snipped corner down. Spoon the colored frosting into the bottom of the bag. Remove the bag from the coffee cup, and twist the open top of the baggie to force the frosting into the snipped corner. Draw green holly leaves or a Christmas tree, or write out holiday greetings on the top of the cake. Repeat the steps to make red frosting and use the red frosting to draw holly berries, Christmas ornaments or any decorations you like. The easy Christmas cake is very rich and should be sliced thinly. It serves eight.
There are many variations of this cake using your favorite alcohol (rum, flavored brandy), fruit preserves and frostings. The cake can be easily decorated for any occasion from Easter to birthday to Wedding Anniversary.
When cutting the pound cake into layers move the knife slowly and keep the cut at straight as possible. The good news is that if you cut crooked layers, they will be disguised by the frosting.
“Little Green Box of Recipes,” Vera Nestor, 1948.