Looking for an easy potato dumpling recipe? Dumplings are little balls or pockets of dough, sometimes filled with meat or vegetables and then boiled, steamed or fried. Potato dumplings are enjoyed in just about every country in the world as many countries include dumplings in their cuisine. The English eat dumplings in soups and stews. In Italy they are called gnocchi and served with pasta sauce, and in Poland they are fried and served with sour cream. These tasty little dumplings can be eaten alone as a snack with a spicy dip or as a meal topped with gravy or sauce and accompanied by a green salad. Here you will find an easy potato dumpling recipe that anyone can make regardless of cooking experience.
For this easy potato dumpling recipe, you will need:
- One cup instant potatoes or two pounds cooked potatoes
- One cup of hot water
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Two eggs, beaten
- One cup flour
- Two slices of bread, cubed and toasted or half a cup prepared Italian breadcrumbs
- One tablespoon melted butter (optional)
- A minced onion (optional)
To make dumplings using the cooked potato method:
- Cut the potatoes into cubes and boil in lightly salted water. Drain and refrigerate overnight. Mash the potatoes with a masher or a fork and set aside. Combine the flour, eggs, onion, butter and breadcrumbs. Add the potatoes and stir until the mixture forms a sticky dough. If the dough is too sticky to handle, add a quarter cup of flour at a time until it becomes workable.
- Flour the top of the counter or surface you will be using to roll out the dough. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and knead for one to two minutes. Roll or flatten the dough with a rolling pin and cut into twelve pieces.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Drop the dumplings into the boiling water one at a time and cook for approximately ten minutes. The dumplings should float when done. Be careful not to let them cook too long or they may start to dissolve in the water.
To make dumplings using the instant potato method:
- Add one cup of instant mashed potato flakes to one cup of hot water. Add salt, pepper and butter to taste. Make the potatoes as you normally would.
- Spread the mashed potatoes on a plate and cool for fifteen to twenty minutes. Add the eggs, flour, onion and breadcrumbs. Mix well until the potato mixture becomes a soft dough. It may be a little sticky; if so add a quarter cup of flour until you can work the dough between your fingers.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and flatten with a rolling pin. Cut or shape into six large or twelve small pieces, depending on how large or small you want your dumplings. If using the dumplings in a soup, many prefer to make them smaller as they tend to absorb some of the liquid they cook in.
Potato dumplings add versatility to any meal when served as a main course or side dish. To make filled potato dumplings, flatten the dough and fill with shredded meat or vegetables and cheese, then fold the edges to make a seal. Cook and chill for ready-made snacks or appetizers. Chill and eat as a cold snack or add to a sack lunch with a cup of hot chicken noodle soup and some fruit. They can be used in place of bread or biscuits and served with gravy or melted butter and Parmesan cheese. Remember to watch the dumplings carefully while cooking; if cooked too long they can start to dissolve in the water or fall apart. If making filled dumplings, watch that the edges of the dough do not start to separate or your filling will come out in the water and your batch of dumplings will be ruined.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…