Next time you are at a dinner party, break the ice with some interesting trivia like these Eiffel Tower facts. The Eiffel Tower is easily the most iconic Parisian image, but most people do not know very much about the structure's history. Once you read our Eiffel Tower facts, you'll know a little bit more about one of the most famous buildings in the world.
- The architect behind the Eiffel Tower, Gustave Eiffel, also worked on the Statue of Liberty. Eiffel specialized in metal structural work. His skills were just what were needed to build the 151-foot tall statue.
- The names of 72 scientists from fields including meteorology, chemistry and mathematics were engraved on the borders of each side of the Eiffel Tower. The names are there, in part, because of architect Gustave Eiffel's passion for the sciences. Although they were inadvertently painted over during an early renovation, the names were restored in 1986.
- The Eiffel Tower was supposed to be torn down after twenty years. Initially, the Eiffel Tower was only intended as a temporary structure. Gustave Eiffel managed to win a permanent place in Paris for the tower when he encouraged the use of the Eiffel Tower for scientific purposes, particularly those involving radio. The Eiffel Tower made an excellent antenna.
- The French military set up a permanent radio station in the Eiffel Tower in 1908. They had a temporary one previous to that. When French radio operators in the tower intercepted enemy communications during the first World War, the French armed forces decided the the Eiffel Tower was of great strategic importance.
- The Eiffel Tower is the most-visited admission-charging monument in the world. Seven million people plunk down their cash each year to visit the iconic tower. Nearly 250 million people have visited the Eiffel Tower since its opening in 1889.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.