Eleanor Roosevelt quotes are prevalent in our history as she was an incredibly outspoken, intelligent first-lady for one of America's greatest presidents, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The well-rounded first-lady had opinions and advice about many different subjects and aspects of life, reflecting the depth of the people and free-thinking in America. The Eleanor Roosevelt quotes listed below show her variety of thought and opinion, something which should be emulated by many future first-ladies to come.
- On rational living: "A little simplification would be the first step towards rational living, I think." This quote reflects Eleanor Roosevelt's advice on people who become overwhelmed with their lives.
- On women: "A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." This Eleanor Roosevelt quote reflects the constant theme of women's rights which she carried like a torch in most of the things she did.
- On religion and politics: "Anyone who knows history, particularly the history of Europe, will, I think recognize the domination of education or of government by any one particular religious faith is never a happy arrangement for the people." This is a reflection of Eleanor Roosevelt's politics on the separation of church and state, which has always been a fixture in American society.
- On being a political wife: "Campaign behavior for wives: Always be on time. Do as little talking as humanly possible. Lean back in the parade car so everybody can see the president." This Eleanor Roosevelt quote reflects her wry wit and humor about how women are treated in the society in which she lived.
- On discussion: "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." This Eleanor Roosevelt quote shows how smart the first lady was when it came to having conversations with people, especially when it came to people gossiping about her, her husband or anyone else.
- On being a good person: "Have convictions. Be friendly. Stick to your beliefs as they stick to theirs. Work as hard as they do." Another Eleanor Roosevelt quote which everyone can carry with them throughout their lives and live by, hopefully as better people.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Style Profile: Jesse Nolan of Caught a Ghost
One of the most stylish guys in indie music on the benefits of dressing up for your home office and the "Blossom"-esque trend men should avoid.
Lucy Kicks Ass, Metaphysics, Logic
If you are willing to relax, get on board and tweak your suspension-of-disbelief meter to 11, it’s not the worst way to spend 89 minutes.
Field Test: LA’s Best Valets Take on the Stingray
There are no wiser men than Hollywood car parkers to gauge the true star power of an automobile...