Essential Boat Dock Accessories
The first part of tricking out a boat deck is to install some essential boat dock accessories. Boat docks come in all shapes and sizes and, accordingly, so do essential boat dock accessories.
- One of the most essential of all boat dock accessories are anchor cleats. Depending on the size of your boat, you may need to purchase heavy duty anchor cleats, capable of holding a large boat through the toughest storm.
- Depending on the size of your boat, a dock ladder may be an essential boat dock accessory. Make sure to measure the distance from the top of the boat dock to the top of the boat and get a dock ladder long enough to accommodate getting off the boat in low tide. Generally, a four or five step dock ladder should suffice for most boat docks.
- In order to keep your boat from being damaged by banging into the dock, invest in the best dock bumpers you can afford. Do not scrimp on dock bumpers as these truly are essential to the wellbeing of your boat's hull. Bumpers can be of the tied variety (which are attached to the boat dock with ropes) or, if you have extra cash lying around, the very best dock bumpers are plastic components which line the entire dock.
- If you really have extra cash lying around, investing in boat dock whips is an excellent idea. Boat dock whips work by flexing the boat at a safe distance from the dock so that the boat never touches the dock. In other words, if you invest in boat dock whips, you probably don't need dock bumpers.
- Lights to outline your boat dock in the evening are another essential boat dock accessory. Not only will the lights help guide you safely in during dawn or dusk, but they will signal your boat dock's edges to other boats in the area. If you don't have any electricity on the dock, there are some very nice solar boat dock lights on the market.
- And, of course, depending on your lifestyle, a good cooler to hold cold brew may just be the last essential boat dock accessory you need. If you have electricity, you can purchase an outdoor refrigerator which is just right for holding a case of brewskies.
Posted on: Aug. 05, 2010