Essential Kickboxing Clothing
Kickboxing is a competitive sport and is offered in gyms as a cardio kickboxing class, so what essential kickboxing clothing items do you need to get started? Chances are you already own everything you need for a cardio kickboxing class, but if you are considering taking a sparring class, you may need to take a trip to your local sporting goods store.
- Protective Gear A helmet is usually required in a sparring class. Make sure the helmet fits correctly and is not too tight on your head because it may constrict blood flow. Protective gear is also required for sparring, such as a mouth guard and groin protection. Both sparring classes and aerobic classes use boxing gloves, but sometimes they are provided by the gym.
- Pants or Shorts Shorts are typically used in cardio kickboxing classes where in sparring classes a loose, long pant is used. Clothing needs to allow the body to breathe and move freely. Pants, shorts and tops should not be constrictive where it would restrict movement.
- Tops Choose short-sleeved shirts or tank tops that do not impede arm movement. With all of the punching you'll be doing, long-sleeved tops are not recommended. You will be warm enough from the exercise to not even want to consider wearing a sweatshirt.
- Footwear For an aerobic class, make sure you have a good, sturdy pair of cross trainer sneakers to withstand all of the bouncing. If you are taking a sparring class, your feet will be bare.
- Special Uniforms If attending a gym, check with the instructor to see if they have their own requirements on attire or if you need to purchase a karate gi, a cotton uniform used in many martial arts such as judo, jiu-jitsu and kickboxing.