There are quite a few basics as far as attire that the guys need, but for this article, we’ll look at some essential leather clothing for men. And no, we don’t mean pleather, vinyl, or shiny PVC. We mean real, honest-to-goodness, cows-died-for-this authentic leather. While the phony leather might look cool, it doesn’t last long at all since it’s made from crappy plastic. The list below will help direct you toward the most ideal alternatives in leather clothing for men.
- Shoes. A high-quality pair of leather shoes is one of the most indispensable pieces of attire men can pick for themselves. This is because leather shoes are versatile and can be worn professionally and casually while still looking classy. Leather work boots are a great choice as well, if you happen to do work that involves a lot of walking and labor. You don’t want your shoes splitting at the seams when you need them the most, like when you’re kicking your co-worker’s head for taking the same vacation time you wanted.
- Belts. Having your pants fall down during the big meeting with the boss lady will not put you on your superior’s good side. Investing in a sturdy leather belt is a fashion decision most men would not regret, so just cough up the extra bucks for a decent belt and you’ll be pleased at how long the belt will last you.
- Jackets. A leather jacket or vest in the proper style and length can look quite flattering on a male figure. In this case, though, the leather clothing for men of which we speak is not bondage gear, as in you don’t want a jacket with a matching face mask and a leash. Wear a shirt underneath your jacket or vest of choice, otherwise, you’ll look like an abysmal porn star (unless that’s the look you’re going for).
- Watches. You’ve got a belt for your waist, so why not one for your wrist too? You don’t want your hand falling off. Okay, that last part was a bit of a joke, your hand will be just fine. A watch with a leather strap is going to be of greater quality than a crummy plastic one, and it will last longer. It's more expensive, yeah, but for every one good-quality item you buy that lasts for years, you might go through several cheap imitations that cost the same as that one durable item.
- Gloves. You never know when you’ll be in need of some stylish leather gloves. It’d probably be best to wear these in the winter, especially if you live in an area where the sun beats down on people like a fiery mallet in the summer. Black leather gloves will go well with just about any color coat, jacket, or outfit, including black.
- Corsets. Crazy as it sounds, there are corsets made for men. We aren’t referring to the girdles middle-aged men wear to their high school reunions to hide their poochy beer guts either. Wearing one with a loose peasant shirt and some plain black slacks will look quite tasteful and artsy. A lot of women completely melt over men who look like he might be actors, so why not give it a shot?
- Gothic. Hot Topic has a few items that offer a substitute to men who want the non-conformist genuine leather goods. You can get yourself a rainbow-studded leather belt and a nice thick leather choker that will last the fun-loving non-conformist several years. And just because you’re a guy doesn’t mean you have to even buy the clothing for men, it’s totally the in thing for guys to wear ladies’ pants and accessories. Go on and buy that leather Hello Kitty studded bangle, we won’t tell anyone.
The best part is you don’t even need to pay full price for these things. Check out stores and websites that sell overstock items, or even your local thrift store. If you’re opposed to buying used clothing, just think of how many other people have tried on that “brand new” several-hundred-dollar jacket from a store shelf.