There are several essential workout clothes for men that every man should own. Sure, you could throw on an old T-shirt and sweatpants, but what you wear to the gym can affect your workout more than you think. Most clothes specifically designed for exercising not only provide comfort and support, but also maximizes performance. Read on for the most essential workout clothing items to have in your closet.
- Spandex shorts–These can be layered under your looser fitting pants and shorts. Spandex shorts provide support while eliminating chafing. They also help keep your leg muscles warm and pliable, reducing the likelihood of cramps and injury.
- Fitness shirt–Shirts designed specifically for workouts are no longer made from plain cotton. Most specialty fitness shirts today are made from a synthetic fiber blend that is designed to wick away perspiration and keep you cool. Look for shirts with microfiber polyester fabric or fabric blend.
- Weight training gloves (if applicable)–If you lift weights regularly, it’s a good idea to invest in weightlifting gloves. Dumbbells and bars place stress on the hands and fingers. Gloves help protect the hands from drying out, chafing and forming calluses.
- Cross-training shoes–Cross trainers are shoes that are designed to be supportive, comfortable and versatile enough to be used in a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. They’re a good investment for the guy who participates in many different activities regularly.
- Hooded sweatshirt–If you exercise outdoors, a hooded sweatshirt can be your best friend. It provides warmth without weighing you down as much as a heavy coat would.
No matter what workout clothes you choose to invest in, comfort and practicality should be your goal. Consider the climate and the activity and choose clothes that will maximize your performance in a variety of conditions.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.