Essentials Of Krav Maga Self Defense Techniques
For people living in urban areas, it is important to know the essentials of Krav Maga self-defense techniques. Krav Maga is an awesome system of self-defense developed by the Israeli Defense Forces and is used by the military and law enforcement agencies (and Jack Bauer), rooted in various types of Asian martial arts. To get you started on learning this excellent martial art, here are some essential techniques that you should know about Krav Maga self defense:
- STRIKING: The essentials of Krav Maga actually teach you how to use your assailant's momentum against himself. You can also go all Chuck Norris on the jerk with a round house kick. One of the best Krav Maga self defense striking move is the Palm Heel Strike. You hit an opponent’s face just below the nose with the heel of your palm. This strike is deadly, as it will break the bones of the nose and drive it directly to the person’s brain if done with a solid strike.
- DISARMING: One of the essential self-defense techniques taught in Krav Maga self defense is weapon defenses. Use the “R.C.A.T” method; “Redirect the weapon; control the weapon; attack and take the weapon away.” For example, if an opponent tries to attack you with a knife, grab and hold on to the wrist of the hand holding the knife, and twist the arms to force your opponent to let go of the knife. Make sure that you take control of the knife after and use it against him or her.
- THROWING: Another essential technique in Krav Maga self defense. Again, you use your attacker's momentum against him so you can avert his attack and use his soft spots to bring him down. Throws include techniques from Greco Roman wrestling one-arm shoulder throw. When an opponent approaches you, post in a stance where you can easily grab hold of his arm, grab his wrist with your hand and his shoulder by your other hand. When you have the proper hold, bring your opponent down by directing his momentum into the ground. You can do this by twisting his arm and wrist.
- GRAB: There are many techniques in Krav Maga that teach you how to defend yourself against an attacker with grabby hands. Krav Maga teaches you how to throw your touchy-feely attacker off-balance and force him to release you. An example of this Krav Maga technique would be the one or two leg takedown, where you aim to grab hold of an opponent’s leg and force him on the ground by lifting the leg and throwing your opponent down.
- PLAY DIRTY: In real life, you cannot afford to be a gentleman and stick to the rules of fair play. The essentials of Krav Maga self defense teach you how to use whatever is available to you, like a piece of wood for example. When somebody's trying to mug you, he probably doesn't care if stabbing you in the eye is good form or not. You can use street fighting moves like eye gouging or guillotine choke.
Remember; please don't try these at home since the essential Krav Maga self defense techniques don’t teach you how to deflect lawsuits.