Exercises For Back Muscles
You need to do some exercises for back muscles in order to reduce strain at the back caused by different conditions. Back pain is usually caused by improper posture, prolonged sitting, and other medical conditions that cause back muscles to weaken. These exercises are good to stretch and strengthen the muscles supporting the back that can prevent and correct back pain.
- Before doing the exercises for back muscles do some stretching exercises. Simple back stretches in a lying position will do. Lie on your back with the knees bend and foot flat on the floor. Bring your knees towards your chest by hugging your hands on your knees. Hold this position for 5 seconds and feel the stretch from your back. Relax from your position and repeat the same steps 10 times.
- Do barbell rows. You need a dumbbell or barbell to stretch the back muscles. Bring your body forward at 45 degrees. Hold the dumbbell down and contract the muscles of the back to pull the weights up towards the trunk. You can also use a resistance band to replace the weights to pull towards the body by contracting the back muscle to perform the movement while keeping the band in place under the feet.
- Pullovers are good exercises for back muscles. It works on strengthening the back as well as the chest muscles and triceps. This exercise for the back however is not suitable for individuals with shoulder problems. This is done against a resistance such as dumbbells while resting your back on a big exercise ball. Hold the dumbbell just beside your chest and slowly bring it in the direction above and over the head. Hold this position for 5 seconds and then bring back the weights back on the side of the chest.
- A simple exercise for the lower back muscles can be done without weights. You can simply lie face down on the floor and contract the lower back muscles to lift the upper half of the body off the floor.
- You can be selective on the kind of exercises for back muscles. There are specific exercises that target specific back muscles from the upper, middle, and lower back. Barbell/dumbbell shrugs and upright rows are great for the upper back muscles. The lower back is further strengthened with deadlifts, good mornings, and hyperextensions exercises for back muscles. Doing the barbell row exercises can concentrate strengthening the middle back muscles.
- Simple back stretches and strengthening exercises for back muscles can reduce back pains and injury. Weakened back muscles are strengthened and it provides protection against back injury. Exercises for back muscles can improve posture and facilitate in the healing of injury at the back.