Facial Massage Therapy Guide
A basic facial massage therapy guide includes techniques involved, products used and contra-indications (reasons not to perform massage therapy). Facial massage techniques are very relaxing and can smooth fine lines and wrinkles that are created from stress. As circulation is improved in the face area, skin is fresher and brighter in appearance.
- Ask questions. Ask the recipient if they have any skin sensitivities or allergies to skin care products. A certified or licensed massage practitioner or aesthetician will also examine the skin to look for blemishes or other lesions. Certain conditions such as Rosacea may not respond well to facial massage so discretion must be used.
- Decide on the product to use for massage (if any). Most of the time a facial massage can be done without any type of lubricant due to the natural oils of the skin. However, some practitioners will employ the use of very light face creams or lotions to prevent dragging of the sensitive facial skin.
- Apply massage techniques. Before applying any techniques, pull the receiver's hair back from her face with a towel or elasticized hair band if necessary. Below are some techniques you can apply:
- Begin with light finger tip strokes across her forehead, repeated several times. Use the fingers of one hand or both.
- Stroke with your finger tips lightly down the sides of her face down to her chin.
- With your hands cupping her temples slightly, use your thumbs to make small circles at the bridge of her nose and across her entire forehead.
- Keeping your hands in place, move your thumbs to slowly make small circles at her temples - working both sides at once.
- Gently press with your thumbs across the bony section of her cheek, under the eyes. Be careful not to drag the skin of the sensitive eye area.
- Use your closed finger tips to rotate over her cheeks simultaneously working from her nose outward towards her ears, then downward around her mouth and chin.
- Optionally, massage her ears and use light palm stroking up her neck to further relax her and enhance the facial massage.