Looking for specific facts about anorexia? Here you will find key facts regarding the disorder, Anorexia Nervosa, as well as specific warning signs to look for in those people around you.
Key facts about Anorexia Nervosa are:
- Between the ages of 15 to 23 is when most are affected by anorexia.
- 1% of teenage females will suffer from some form of anorexia.
- Caucasian and Hispanic females are those most affected by anorexia.
- Peer pressure in todays society is a one of the main causes of the development of anorexia.
- Although more women have anorexia, men can also suffer. Most men are mis-diagnosed due to the overwhelming amount of women having the disorder.
- Those suffering from anorexia will view themselves as overweight, no matter how grossly thin they really are.
- Those who are still going through puberty may stunt their growth when suffering from anorexia.
- 10 to15% of those suffering from severe anorexia will die from complications that became apparent while suffering from the disorder.
- 4 out of 10 people affected by anorexia will make a full recovery.
- 50% of anorexia sufferers will suffer from osteoporosis (bone thinning)
- Anorexia Nervosa is specified as a psychological disorder.
- Sufferers of anorexia will suffer bone and hair loss.
- Sufferers of anorexia in extreme cases will begin to grow fine, down like hair all over their body. This is your body trying to keep itself warm.
- Many cases of anorexia have shown kidney failure.
With any severe disorder there are specific warning signs to look for and pay direct attention to:
- Starving ones self to the point of extreme, rapid weight loss.
- Always worried about gaining weight.
- Eating only specific items.
- Always on a diet.
- Compulsive exercising.
- Rapid weight loss.
- Loss of hair.
- Irregular menstruation (women).
- Always cold, even if it is extremely hot.
If you notice any of these signs, it is essential that you seek help immediately so that treatment is successful.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …