Family Room Decorating Ideas
Learn some family room decorating ideas to turn a blah room into a place for you and the family to hang out. As most bachelors don't have a need for a family room, the presumption is that there is a wife or children in the picture. It's important to make it a room where both a woman and children feel comfortable. It may have to suit different purposes, such as family parties, as well as a play area for children. Keep things simple and streamlined.
- Purchase a leather or microfiber sectional sofa. The material is important as kids will make a mess on the couch and it's best that they can feel comfortable in the family room. The color cream or taupe works well. If it's microfiber, stains will come off of it easily. A black or brown leather couch works with various decor styles.
- Paint the walls in a soft beige. This sounds plain but opens up the room and is a canvas for other colors and styles.
- Paint a small, lower section of a wall with chalkboard paint. This is a fun activity for kids to engage in. Chalkboard paint is an innovative family room decorating idea.
- Hang artwork or framed posters in groups of three. The exact artwork depends on your tastes. Colors such as navy blue or hunter green are excellent paired with the neutral paint and furniture tones.
- Add an ottoman that doubles as toy storage. A rectangle shape ottoman that has a removable top is perfect. Brown fabric or leather is nice.
- Place at least two or three side tables in the room. Put lamps on top of them. Make sure that at least one of the side tables is next to the sofa. Darker wood work better than light wood.
- Add a large, flat-screen television to the room. It should be easily viewed from the couch. This family room decorating idea benefits everyone in the family.