The world's most famous fashion designers are mostly from Europe and the United States. Some of them passed away a long time ago but were able to build fashion houses that continue their fame and business to this day. Some are still churning out creative and breathtaking designs. Here's a look at some of the most famous fashion designers whose labels and creations grace women's closets today:
- Gianni and Donatella Versace Versace is one of the world's leading fashion houses. Founded by Gianni Versace in 1978, the first boutique opened in Milan and received immediate success. Known for sexy designs that showcase the female body, famous Versace dresses include the black dress held by oversized gold safety pins worn by Elizabeth Hurley to the premiere of "Four Weddings and a Funeral" in 1994. After Gianni was murdered in 1997, his sister, Donatella Versace, took over as creative director. She quickly proved that she has what it takes to continue and bring Versace to the next level. Jennifer Lopez caused a media frenzy when she wore a Versace silk chiffon green dress with a neckline that plunged inches below the navel to the 2000 Grammy Awards.
- Guccio Gucci Guccio Gucci started out selling leather bags to horsemen in the 1920s. From there, he expanded the company to include clothes and other accessories. Gucci died in 1953 but the fashion house has continued to produce quality goods since then, notably under the direction of Tom Ford, whose last collection for the fashion house was in 2004. Counterfeit Gucci handbags are regularly peddeled on sidewalks, sometimes right outside Gucci stores.
- Tom Ford Tom Ford is credited with saving Gucci from collapsing. He brought sexiness and glamour back to the label and by the time he left, Gucci was an internationally sought-after brand. Today, Tom Ford has his own fashion brand. It's no doubt that Tom Ford's talent will further develop to make him one of the most famous fashion designers to come out of America.
- Calvin Klein Calvin Klein is most famous for his jeans and fragrances. He is a designer with a knack for advertisement. To this day, the 1980 commercial in which a fifteen-year-old Brooke Shields purred that nothing comes between her and her Calvins is still controversial.
- Giorgio Armani Another fashion designer with a knack for advertisement is Giorgio Armani. The designer has several lines but he's most well-known among the young generation for the more accessible Armani Exchange brand. There's also the Emporio Armani brand, which has provided millions of people with a look at David Beckham and Megan Fox in nothing but their underwear.
By: Shanon Watson Tom Ford has transformed the face of fashion. He is rarely ever seen wearing anything other than a ...
There are certain things that cause even the most earthy and understanding of women to cringe and these things have to d ...
The upcoming movie "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps", is kind of like "Sex in the City" except for boys in terms of fash ...