There may not be as many successful, famous lesbians as there are gay men, but they're definitely out there — and usually out and proud. Whether or not they choose to be vocal about their sexuality, the tabloids chase them down. Here are ten of our favorites:
- Ellen DeGeneres. This famous lesbian makes everything she says and does funny and charming, and she's got the awards to prove it, including seven Emmy Awards for "Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show." The fact that she got the lovely Portia de Rossi to marry her helps prove it, too.
- Portia de Rossi. If Ellen keeps winning awards for her humor, Portia keeps winning awards for her looks—"Maxim," "People," and "Stuff" have all formally announced her beauty.
- Melissa Etheridge. Melissa was out before she became famous—she was discovered while giving a performance at a lesbian bar in Los Angeles. With Grammies, Oscars, and an International Entertainer of the Year award to her name, she's come a long way since then. She even won an Oscar for the music she provided for "An Inconvenient Truth."
- Cynthia Nixon. Despite being most famous for sleeping with as many men as possible on "Sex and the City," Cynthia has been in a monogamous lesbian relationship since 2003.
- Rosie O'Donnell. Talk about out, proud, and famous! Rosie is about as vocal as anyone can get about gay families and gay rights. Being a successful, famous lesbian is practically her trademark. Just look at her work on "The Big Gay Sketch Show."
- Jodie Foster. Able to move from child actress to grown-up actress (not to be confused with "adult actress") without a glitch, Jodie's so successful that she has an asteroid named after her. She's got 75 titles to her name, including the iconic "Silence of the Lambs." Shame John Hinckley didn't know she was gay.
- Lily Tomlin. From stand-up to "The Magic Schoolbus" to "The West Wing," it seems like Lily can do anything. Add in her forty-year relationship with Jane Wagner, and she definitely belongs on this list.
- Angelina Jolie. Oh, she may be living a heterosexual lifestyle, but don't be fooled. Angelina talks very publicly about her bisexuality. Is she gay enough to count as a lesbian? She's hot enough in "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" that she counts as whatever she wants.
- Lindsay Lohan. If any publicity is good publicity, then Lindsay has to qualify as successful … and since so much of that publicity was about her relationship with Samantha Ronson, she probably qualifies as lesbian, too.
- Frida Kahlo. It takes some pretty extraordinary talent to achieve such fame as a Mexican woman painter—and it takes guts to have an affair with your husband's sister. Played by Salma Hayek in the movie "Frida," she may have been dead for 50 years, but let's give respect where it's due to one of the original famous lesbians.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …