Famous New Yorkers
The famous New Yorkers on this list embody the city’s talent and energy. From actors and musicians to athletes and businessmen, these New Yorkers often pay homage to their home city through their various career projects.
- Woody Allen The quintessential New Yorker, Woody Allen is a director, writer, and actor who has created some of the most famous movies about New York to ever light up the silver screen. From “Annie Hall” to “Manhattan,” his classics made Americans fall in love with the Big Apple.
- Donald Trump The Trumpster is a New Yorker who is most famous for his hair. When people aren’t talking about his comb over, however, they’re watching his hit show “The Apprentice,” which takes place right at his offices in New York City.
- Sarah Jessica Parker This famous New Yorker helped showcase many parts of the city in her HBO show, “Sex and the City.” Alongside her fellow gal pals, the show documented the trials of finding love (and scoring sex) in the Big Apple. Sarah Jessica Parker remains a long time resident of New York, despite hailing originally from Ohio.
- Denzel Washington This very famous New Yorker and acclaimed actor was born in Mount Vernon, New York. He’s starred in a number of movies set in New York, including “Inside Man” and “American Gangster.”
- Lady Gaga The songstress who people either love or hate is a famous New Yorker. She grew up and resided in the city until she caught her big break in 2005. She attended well-known schools around New York including the Convent of the Sacred Heart and NYU.
- Barbra Streisand This songbird and actress is another famous New Yorker. She is as recognized for her Brooklyn accent as her singing talent. She has starred in New York-related films such as “Funny Girl” and “The Way We Were.”
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar This basketball player may have played for Los Angeles, but he stands as a very famous New Yorker. He grew up in Manhattan before beginning his basketball career at UCLA.
Posted on: Mar. 13, 2011