There are many famous people from Florida in numerous categories. However, this article features famous movie and television actors and actresses who were born in Florida or were raised in the Sunshine State.
- Johnny Depp: Although born in Kentucky on June 9, 1963, John Christopher Depp II moved with his family more than 20 times and finally settled in Miramar, Florida in 1970. His portrayals of eccentric characters were offbeat but won him a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild award. He is filming his fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, and his "Rango" became #1 when it debuted in 2011.
- Delta Burke: Delta Ramona Leah Burke was born July 30, 1956, in Orlando, Florida. She was voted "Most Likely to Succeed", and in her senior year of high school became Miss Florida of 1974, the youngest Miss Florida ever. She is best known for her role of Suzanne Sugarbaker in "Designing Women" and has a recurring role in the new "Drop Dead Diva".
- Sidney Poitier: Sidney Poitier was born prematurely on February 20, 1927, in Miami, Florida, where the family remained for three months to nurse him to health. Since he was born stateside, he gained U.S. citizenship. He grew up in The Bahamas but was sent back to Miami to live with his brother when he was 15. In addition to a long and successful acting career, he has written three autobiographies including "Life Beyond Measure – Letters to my Great-Granddaughter", an Oprah's Book Club selection in 2008.
- Wayne Brady: Wayne Alphonso Brady was born June 2, 1972, in Georgia and then lived in Orlando. He became involved in central Florida stage productions, which led to roles singing, dancing, acting, and improvising. He has also been the host of "The Wayne Brady Show", "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and is currently the host of "Let's Make a Deal".
- Mickey Rourke: Philip Andre Rourke, Jr. was born September 16, 1952, and was raised in Miami. After he retired as a professional boxer, he became a leading man in films. His most notable role was in "The Wrestler", which gave him a 2009 Golden Globe award and an Academy Award nomination. In 2010 he was in "The Expendables" and "Iron Man 2".
- Mark Consuelos: On March 30, 1971, Mark Andrew Consuelos was born in Spain to an Italian mother and a Mexican father. He spent some of his growing up years in Tampa, Florida and graduated from the University of South Florida. He landed a role in "All My Children" in 1995 and married his love interest, Kelly Ripa, from that show in 1996. Mark has been in several movies and in a Lifetime series "Missing". He also guest starred in "Ugly Betty", "Friends", "Hope and Faith", and others,and hosted two reality dating shows.
- Wesley Snipes: Wesley Trent Snipes was born in Orlando on July 31, 1962. He got his first movie role in "Wildcats" in 1986 with Goldie Hawn and went on to many other roles including the role as Blade in the "Blade" trilogy. As of 2011, however, he is serving a prison sentence for failure to file federal income tax returns.
- Faye Dunaway: Dorothy Faye Dunaway was born on January 14, 1941, on a farm in Bascom, Florida. She was a beauty queen, earned an Acting degree, played on Broadway, and appeared on television. It was her role as Bonnie Parker in "Bonnie and Clyde" in 1967 that made her a super star and led to roles with Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, and Jack Nicholson.
- Butterfly McQueen: Born in Tampa, Florida, in 1911, she made her stage debut in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", where a friend gave her the nickname of "Butterfly", which remained with her. Her most famous role was as Prissy, a young slave girl, in "Gone With the Wind".
- Summer Phoenix: Summer Joy Phoenix was born on December 20, 1978, in central Florida and also spent her teen years there. Her brother was River Phoenix, and she is the sister-in-law of Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner since she is married to Casey Affleck. She appeared in movies, on the London stage, and co-owns a recycled vintage clothing boutique in Manhattan.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.