These famous people with schizophrenia didn’t let their conditions hold them back. Schizophrenia is a complicated mental illness that involves delusions, hallucinations and catatonic behavior; however, the individuals on this list prove that it can’t stop you from becoming a great scholar, musician or athlete.
- John Nash. Nash was a mathematician who earned the Nobel Prize in Economics by developing the game theory. The movie “A Beautiful Mind” draws inspiration from the life of this famous person with schizophrenia.
- Will Elliot. Elliot, an Australian fiction writer, is another famous person with schizophrenia. His first novel, “The Pilo Family Circus,” debuted in 2006. Later, his autobiographical book titled “Strange Places” revealed his battle with mental illness.
- Peter Green. Here’s a famous person with schizophrenia who has found a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Green was the original founder and leading man of the musical group Fleetwood Mac. Unfortunately, his heavy use of LSD probably provoked his mental illness.
- Lionel Aldridge. Aldridge was a famous athlete with schizophrenia. He was a member of the Green Bay Packers, aiding the team in capturing two Super Bowl victories. His battle with schizophrenia began when he was 33.
- Syd Barrett. Many fans and critics speculate that Barrett, founding member and guitarist of the band Pink Floyd, suffered from mental illness. While he may have been another famous person with schizophrenia, he also was an accomplished guitarist and painter.
- Meera Popkin. Popkin was another famous person with schizophrenia, and her condition took its toll on her Broadway career. Her diagnosis was made in 1997. However, reports suggest that the star of the musical “Cats” has recovered.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.