The Fastest Cars In The World
All in all, the fastest cars in the world are some impressive beasts. So what makes the fastest cars? Is it quarter-mile time, acceleration, or merely the fastest achievable speed that vehicle can go? However you define it, there is a general list of what automotive aficionados consider the fastest cars in the world. Listed below are some of the fastest cars you will ever hear of on the street:
- The Bugatti Veyron (Super Sport). Whether you pick to the "Pur Sang" or the "Super Sport", any Bugatti Veyron tops the list of the fastest cars in the world. Named after French race car driver Pierre Veyron, this Bugatti holds both the title of fastest car and quickest accelerating street legal car. It can reach 267.8 mph and accelerates from 0-100 km/hr in 2.4 seconds. Talk about a beast on wheels!
- The SSC Ultimate Aero. The only vehicle ever to interrupt the Veyron's long-lived streak as the king of fastest cars in the world, the SSC Aero was the quickest bad-boy on the block from September 2007 to June 2010. The Aero can reach 256.18 mph and goes from 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds.
- The Saleen S-7 Twin Turbo. Topping off at 248 mph, the S-7 Twin Turbo is a force to be reckoned with on the road. It reaches 60 mph in 3.2 seconds and is placed 12th on the list of fastest accelerating cars in the world.
- The Koenigsegg CCX. Coming in fourth place at 245 miles per hour, the Koenigsegg CCX (and CCXR) has a lateral G-force of 1.4-1.5 G's, a four-valved V8, and 740-796 lbs/ft. of torque. It was revealed at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show.
- The McLaren F1. The quickest of the fastest cars in the world for about seven years (from 1998 to 2005), the McLaren F1 is a world-renowned super car. The F1 reaches 60 miles per hour from a standstill in 3.2 seconds while 'maxing out' at 240 mph.
- The Gumpert Apollo (Sport). Holding 6th place in list of the fastest cars allowed, the Apollo is Gumpert's 4.2 liter, twin-turbo V8 super car. The Apollo Sport can book it up to 223.9 mph and simultaneously race from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds.
- The Ferrari Enzo. Finally, a car that we all can identify with! Out of all the fastest cars on this list, the Ferrari Enzo is easily the most well known. The Italian auto-maker's V12-sporting super car ramps it up to a good 217 mph! On top of that, the Enzo will go from 0-60 in 3.4 seconds.
- The Jaguar XJ220. A grandfather among what seems like a bunch of young studs, the XJ220 was made in 1992 and held the title of fastest car in the world from that year until the McLaren succeeded it in 1998. It's archaic self can still match the Enzo at an impressive 217 mph!
- The Ascari A10. Manufactured by British automobile company Ascari Cars, the A10 has a 5 liter BMW V8 in its interior. The Ascari A10 pumps out 625 bhp and tops out at a good 215 mph. Like most other super cars, the A10 is hand-assembled.
- The Pagani Zonda F. Rounding out the top 10 fastest cars in the world, the Pagani Zonda ties with the Ascari at a top speed of 215 miles per hour. The "F" indicates that this Zonda is a performance version, unlike the stock "S". It boasts a V12 and 650 bhp of output.
The fastest cars in the world are not to be messed with. Sure they look aerodynamically gorgeous from the outside, but whether it be the old Jaguar XJ220 or the brand new Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, these cars have earned their keep on the list of quickest land vehicles out there.