With all the choices available, picking the five hottest female country singers is no walk in the park. But it's a job that needs to be done and somebody's got to do it. We've left out the current crop of singer since they haven't stood the test of time. But recordings put out by the following are guaranteed to be listened to for many years to come.
- Patsy Cline. Just the greatest ever. Who could listen to “I Fall to Pieces” or “Crazy” and not get choked up? Her tragic death made her songs all the more poignant.
- Emmy Lou Harris. Folk singer or country singer? Actually, a little of both, with a voice so pure she has been sought out by many a top singer to perform with them, from Johnny Cash to the Chieftains to Mark Knopfler. A lot of people in show business would be offended if she weren't named one of the five hottest female country/western singers.
- Loretta Lynn. How many country singers (other than Patsy Kline) get a movie made about them, "Coal Miner's Daughter." That's kind of an automatic qualifier for being named one of the hottest female country singers. During a long career in music, she holds the record for number of appearances on "The Grand Ol' Opry."
- Dolly Parton. Sure, she's a bit of a joke, what with being only four feet tall and with the bust line of King Kong but not only can she make even a bad song sound good, she's written a passel of good songs herself (besides that, she's still kind of cute).
- Kitty Wells. Even 50 years after she recorded the song, "Baby's Back Again," Wells' voice still makes you want to climb into a convertible with a lanky blond cowgirl behind the wheel, the top down, and go barreling down a west Texas highway, a cold Shiner in your hand and the radio turned way up. Kitty's one of the hottest female country/western singers even after all these years.
Bufwack, Mary A. "Finding Her Voice: Women in Country Music, 1800-2000." Country Music Foundation Press, 2003.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.