Fencing equipment, and no not the fence around your yard, covers the gamut of clothing and accessories. Frankly, you might be shocked to see what retailers sell for fencing. Just about any article of clothing you can think of, fencing has a style for you. Maybe you don’t need fencing socks, perhaps you do. These five items however are necessary fencing equipment.
Five must haves for Fencers:
- The Epee: This is a no brainer piece of fencing equipment. You can’t fence without one. Epees come in various price ranges, your skill level should decide how much you need to spend. What makes an epee good however is the balance of the blade, flexibility of the blade and weight of the Epee. The lighter the better and usually more expensive, this is because the better materials are more expensive.
- The Mask: Another vital piece of fencing gear and certainly the most important piece of protective gear. Here you want to choose a mask that has full face guard as well as neck protection. Visibility should not be impaired by the mask and the over all material breathable but sturdy. Cost here is also associated to materials used to make the mask. If you cut mask coast anywhere, do not do it here.
- The Lame or Chest Guard: These come in vest and jacket style. Recommend looking at the jackets style as it will encompass the shoulder and arms. These provide better protection and are easier to manage. Look for something comfortable, yet fluid and durable. This is the piece that will take the majority of the strikes and it is important that it fits well but does not hamper movement.
- The Glove: Generally this is one of the less expensive pieces of fencing equipment you will purchase. However, it is an important piece of the overall ‘uniform” for the fencer. The protection of the hands and fingers is vital to extended fencing. Look for a pair that fits snug but allows ease of movement and has a strong grip base in the palm and fingers.
- The Grip: Although Epees will come with a standard grip, shopping for a custom grip is important. Custom grips are inexpensive and simple to install. What they provide is a comfortable grip platform for the fencer. This aids in precision and the ability to keep the epee under control. This is very important during fencing encounters.