It might be a good idea to research the field hockey rules for dummies if you plan on playing the sport. Field hockey, a team sport that requires players to attempt scoring goals by hitting, pushing or flicking a ball with sticks into the opponent team's goal. Field hockey is traditionally referred to as hockey, but has drawn the distinction due to other forms of hockey gaining popularity, such as ice and street hockey. Hockey players meet up for regular, unisex international tournaments, which include the summer Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games, the Hockey World Cup, the World Cup for Juniors and the Champions Trophies. The participating teams are governed by the International Hockey Federation.
- The Game. The standard rules for a typical field hockey game includes two 20 to 25 minute halves with a five minute break during half time. Each team comprises of eleven players including the goal tender. Players must pass or dribble the ball down field with the flat side of the hockey stick.
- Fouls. Fouls are a standard field hockey rule with certain conditions. Players can not shield or obstruct the ball with either their body or stick. All players must have an opportunity to possess control of the ball while it is played down the field. Players must also dribble or pass the ball with the rounded side of the stick. Charging, hitting, shoving and tripping an opponent is strictly off limits. No dangerous play will be tolerated, including the raising the stick above the waist in an attempt to play or defend the ball. Players must only use the hockey stick to advance the ball and no other foreign objects or body parts. Players are not allowed to defend the ball while suspended in the air. Players may not hit, hook, hold or otherwise interfere with the opponents' stick.
- Penalty Corner. The ball is placed on the goal line ten yards from the nearest goal post whenever a foul arises. An attacking player is expected to hit the ball to a team mate outside the scoring circle line. However, the team mate may not shoot for the goal until the ball stops or rests on the ground just outside the circle. Only five defenders may defend the goal line while the other team mates are positioned near the center line.
- 16 yard hits. The opposing team receives a 16-yard hit when the offensive team plays the ball from the back-line. The ball is placed sixteen yards from the spot where the ball crossed the back-line.
- The Push-in. A push-in is award for the opponent if a player knocks the ball over the sideline. All players and their equipment must clear five yards away from the spot of the ball.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!