First Aid Kit Essentials
Be prepared for an emergency, or keep a non emergency from escalating, by determining whether you have the necessary first aid kit essentials. You want your first aid kit to be compact and easy to store, but it should also be thorough. Whether you purchase a pre-made first aid kit or design your own, here are some first aid kit essentials to look for as you consider and prepare a kit.
- Obtain the essentials that enable you to take quick and appropriate action. Make these easily accessible in your kit. These essentials include general emergency numbers and specific contact information for your health care providers, as well as as first aid instruction booklet.
- Ready appropriate medication. Your first aid kit should contain aspirin as well as the necessary prescriptions and other medication for your health concerns.
- Prepare for wound treatment. It is essential for a first aid kit to include bandages, dressings, gauze pads, antiseptic and ointment.
- Have the tools that frequently come in handy during an emergency. Keep essential tools, including an oral thermometer, a pair of tweezers, a pair of scissors, a breathing barrier, flashlight, cold compress, emergency blanket, and gloves on hand for possible use in an emergency.
- Personalize your kit. Is this an all-purpose kit for home or business use, or are you designing it for a specific purpose, such as an outdoor activity? If your first aid kit is for a specific activity, you may want to build on the first aid kit essentials suggested here in order to further customize your kit.
Include medication, wound treatment supplies, tools, and other items as first aid kit essentials, and be prepared in case an emergency should on arise. These first aid kit essentials will keep you from feeling helpless during an emergency and provide you with some guidance and necessary items to begin emergency care for yourself or others. A well stocked first aid kit can give you some peace of mind as you enjoy everyday life or embark on your next adventure.