First Date Topics To Avoid
Some first date topics to avoid are obvious, while others may seem like something you would talk about during a normal conversation. The wrong topic of conversation on the first date is a surefire way to make sure you do not get a second date. Consider the following topics to avoid as you prepare for your next first date:
- Politics. The last thing you need on a first date is an argument. Politics is a topic to avoid because there will always be something your date will not agree with or vice versa.
- Religion. Similar to politics, religion is a topic that can cause an argument of explosive proportions. Other than talking about Christmas or Easter traditions, avoid talking about religion on a first date.
- Other women. She seriously does not want to hear about your ex-girlfriend or ex-wife. They are in your past, and she is with you right now. Unless you are talking about your mother or sister, a conversation about the past women in your life is a romance killer and, thus, a first date topic to avoid.
- Men in her past. Do not allow yourself to feed into your insecurities about asking your date about her past relationships during your first date. Moreover, a bad breakup experience can trigger negative emotions or anger that can lead to a night of “woe is me” or resentment.
- Sex. Women see first date conversations about sex as lacking class and something every other guy brings up. Keep your date’s comfort level and trust in you high by avoiding this subject during a first date.
- Bragging about yourself. A first date is not the time to brag about how great you are; it is not a job interview. Let your considerate actions and sincere words show your date how great of a guy you are.
- Her weight. No matter what her body type is, do not bring up her weight. While women like to hear they look nice, they are not ready to know your opinion about how skinny or curvy they look. This first date topic to avoid will only make your date feel insecure about how she looks no matter how complimentary your words are.
- Her parents. The topic of parents can be a sore subject for a woman and is a topic to avoid on a first date. With the high percentage of divorces and single parents, you may find that an innocent conversation about her parents can trigger some unhappy memories or resentments.