It is probably a good idea to consult a fishing safety for kids guide. Sure, taking your kids fishing can be a great family activity, but if you are not careful, accidents can happen. All it takes is a momentary lapse of attention or judgment, and then suddenly a great family outing turns into a disaster. This is not meant to scare you away from taking your kids fishing; instead, it is meant to make you a little wiser. By consulting a fishing safety for kids guide first, you can ensure that every outing is a great outing..
- Buy a good fishing rod. The market place is littered with gimmicky children’s fishing rods. Avoid these at all cost. These types of rods are generally poorly made and end up causing more harm than good. Instead, purchase a rod from a trusted manufacturer. A good kid’s fishing rod should be around five feet long; the shorter the better. Look for fishing rods that are marked as ultra light; these are also easier for children to handle.
- Go bobber and worm fishing. When teaching kids to fish, it is best to start simple. So use a simple set up. A small hook with a worm or other type of live bait is your best bet. Using a small hook makes it easier for kids to handle. It also will increase their chances of catching the small fish that are common near shore lines.
- Use a stick bobber. You want to make fishing easy, fun, as well as safe. So use a bobber or float that is easy for kids to see. The best ones to use are stick or torpedo styled bobbers. With these types of floats, your kid can easily see if they are getting a bite. This cuts down on a little bit of the guesswork and frustration.
- Keep the distance between the bobber and the hook small.Until, they learn to properly cast, there should only be a small amount of distance, maybe a foot or so, between the bobber and the hook. While this may not always be the most efficient method of catching fish, it will reduce the awkwardness of the cast; thus increasing the safety. As the child gets better at casting, you can increase the distance
- Always wear a flotation device. Life vests are not just for boating. When you take kids fishing, they should always wear one, even if they are strong swimmers. Anytime you are in a boat, near the shore line, or on a dock, establish a rule that a life vest, or other coast guard approved flotation device, be worn at all times
- Set some ground rules. No matter how cautious, no fishing safety for kids guide can be effective if the kids do not follow the rules. So before you head out to the water, set very simple rules. Rules like no running, shoes are always worn, and staying ten feet away before you cast are some good guidelines.
- Bring along rescue equipment. Accidents can happen to even the most attentive fishing group. So be prepared for the worst. A good fishing safety idea is to bring along a first aid kit. In addition to this, bring other rescue equipment along, like an extra flotation device and a rescue net or pole.
- Stay protected from the elements. When going fishing with the kids, it is easy to forget some of the most basic necessities. Sure, you have your tackle, bait, and fishing pole; but what about providing protection from the elements. The best safety guide will tell you that when fishing with kids, you need to ensure their protection at all times. This includes bringing along sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and even mosquito repellant. You also need to make sure you have stocked plenty of water.
- Stop when their attention wanes. Kids are kids. They are only going to remain attentive for so long. When they begin to lose interest, then accidents are more likely to happen. To truly be safe when fishing with kids, stop fishing when they lose focus. This will help ensure that no one gets pushed in the water or ends up with a hook in the eye.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.