Flax Seeds Benefit
Flax seeds benefit your health when incorporated into your diet. Flax and flax seed have gained the recognition of a “superfood” due to their many nutritive benefits. The fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and other components work together to promote overall physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- Improves digestive health. The high amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber in flax seeds promote regular bowel movements and overall digestive health. Fiber absorbs water in the intestinal tract, resulting in softer and bulkier stools that sweep toxins from the intestine.
- Lowers cholesterol. Flax helps reduce LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol and triglyceride levels when consumed regularly. The reduction of LDL cholesterol in your blood decreases the risk of developing plaque and arthrosclerosis.
- Reduces cancer risk. Research shows that flax helps protect that body against breast, prostate and colon cancers. The omega-3 fatty acids in flax seeds prevent tumor incidence and growth.
- Decreases inflammation. The omega-3 fatty acids and lignans in flax seed decrease the incidence of inflammation common to certain illnesses, including asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, and eczema.
- Reduces heart disease risk. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in Americans every year. The components of flax seeds reduce your heart disease risk by lowering LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, reducing inflammation, decreasing blood clots, and protecting against heart arrhythmias.
- Improves immunity. The omega-3 fatty acids and lignans in flax seeds improve the function of immune cells and helps control the immune response. This allows the body to better defend itself against invading bacteria and viruses.
- Fights diabetes. Flax seed lignans and fiber help maintain steady blood sugar levels and prevent blood sugar spikes associated with type-2 diabetes.
- Alleviates menopausal symptoms. Menopause stops the production of estrogen, which leads to the occurrence of symptoms such as moodiness, hot flashes, irritability, and night sweats. The phytoestrogens in flax seeds mimic estrogen and act as a natural hormone replacement therapy.
- Enhances mood. Studies show that the docosahexaenoic acid in flax seeds acts as a mood enhancer that fights the symptoms of atypical depression, the most common type, and improves brain cell function.
- Assists in weight loss. Consuming flax seeds promotes a sense of fullness and satisfaction that assists in weight loss. The fiber and omega-3 fatty acids help you maintain a healthy weight.