Florida Senators are comprised of politicians that were very influential. Florida was admitted to the Union on March 3, 1845. Like most southern states, there is a disruption in their Senator history due the Civil War. Florida seceded from the Union in 1861 and returned in 1868. Florida elects its Senators to Class 1 and Class 3.
- Paula Hawkins. She served in the Senate from January 1, 1981 to January 3, 1987 as a Republican. She was the first and only U. S. Senator from Florida. This Florida Senator started her electoral career by campaigning as a consumer advocate. She made child welfare a priority. Some of her accomplishments include: passing the 1982 Missing Children's Act, chairing Investigation and Oversight Subcommittee in 1983 and launching an investigation on the increase of children reported missing.
- David Levy Yulee. He served in the Senate from July 1, 1845 to March 3, 1851 and March 4, 1855 to January 21, 1861 as a Democratic. He was the first Jewish member of the U. S. Senate. Yulee was a U.S. Senator Class 1 for his first term and Class 3 for the second term that he held in 1855.
- Jackson Morton. He served in the Senate from March 4, 1849 to March 4, 1855 as a member of the Whig party. He was also a member of the Congress of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. In 1848 he was a presidential elector for the Whig party. He was not eligible for re-election and went back in to the lumber business.
- Charles William Jones. He served in the Senate from March 4, 1875 to March 4, 1887 as a Democratic. He abandoned his office due to mental illness. Many rumors surround Jones’ private life and mental health. In 1890 he was diagnosed with monomania
- Duncan Upshaw Fletcher. He served in the Senate from March 4, 1909 to June 17, 1936 as a Democratic. Fletcher was the longest serving U. S. Senator in Florida’s history. He made a name for himself as mayor and then in 1901 he aided in rebuilding Jacksonville after a devastating fire.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …