Florida Tag Renewal
If you need to get a Florida tag renewal, you can take care of the process in person, through the mail or online. The state of Florida requires that vehicle operators renew their vehicle tags annually. In order to get a renewed tag, you must pay any assessed taxes and fees by your date of birth each year. This is required even if you do not receive a renewal notice in the mail. Here's how to get a Florida tag renewal.
To renew your Florida vehicle tag, you'll need:
- Current insurance coverage
- A copy of your current vehicle registration
- Your renewal notice (if paying in person or by mail)
- Renew your Florida tag by mail by sending in your renewal notice along with payment for the necessary fees and taxes. Enclose a check, money order or a credit card number to pay your tag fees and send the payment to the address listed on the notice. It will take at least seven days for your payment to be processed, so give yourself enough time before the deadline when you're paying by mail.
- Renew your tag in person by visiting your local county tax collector's office. You'll need to bring a copy of your insurance card and your renewal notice. Make sure to read your renewal notice carefully to see which forms of payment are accepted. Some county tax offices may not accept certain credit cards.
- Renew your Florida tag online by using the state's online portal, GoRenew. Visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website at http://www.flhsmv.gov. Click the dropdown box next to the title "Handle It Online!" and select "Tag Renewals". This will bring you to GoRenew, where you'll need to agree to the Driver Privacy Protection Act Warning before proceeding. Click "Continue" at the bottom of the screen to begin the tag renewal process. Navigate through the menus, entering personal information as directed on the screen. You'll need to pay your tag fees using either Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Allow up to seven days for your payment to be processed when you renew your tag online.